- This event has passed.
COURSE – Wild London: Spring Nature in the City
May 2, 2017 - June 10, 2017£99
Birdsong, wildflowers, butterflies and bees are among the highlights of spring. It’s the season of peak activity in the natural world. Discover more on this engaging course including four field-trips within London. Two Tuesday evening classroom sessions (19.40-21.40) followed by four Saturday (11:00 – 13:00) field trips.
What will we cover?
Over a total of 6 sessions (2 classroom, 4 field trips) the following topics will be covered:
• An overview of London habitats and species
• Seasonal natural events in spring
• Bird song and bird nesting behaviour
• Invertebrates; ecology and identification
• Spring flowers; ecology and identification
The 4 field trips will take place at:
• Kensington Gardens
• The Thames Riverside in West London
• WaterWorks Nature Reserve, Lee Valley
• Nunhead Cemetery, Southwark.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to…
– Describe and appreciate the range of wildlife that flourishes alongside us in London
– Outline features of several London habitats
– Describe some of the key natural events taking place in the spring time
– Recognise a variety of London birds and understand their behaviour in spring
– Identify a range of London invertebrate and describe their ecology
– Recognise a variety of spring wildflowers and understand plant ecology
– Gain confidence in independently exploring and enjoying London’s many wild spaces
– State some ways in which you could become involved with the conservation and study of London’s wildlife
Cost and Booking
- £79 Senior
- £44 Concession
For more information and to book, visit the City Lit Website